- To discuss the appropriate use of online interviews;
- To outline the advantages and disadvantages of online interviews compared to onsite interviews;
- To introduce issues of sampling; in particular selecting, accessing and recruiting appropriate participants;
- To identify different types and delivery modes of online interviews;
- To introduce key design issues with respect to online interviews;
- To provide an introduction to the software and services available for synchronous and asynchronous online communication and explore how these can be used for interviews;
- To describe key terms, definitions and terminology in relation to online interviews;
- To provide links to additional resources, frequently asked questions and print versions.
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Identify the type of research projects where the use of online interviews is an appropriate research method;
- Evaluate the usefulness of online interviews compared to onsite interviews;
- Understand approaches to sampling, accessing and recruiting respondents to take part in online interviews;
- Devise an online interview, bearing in mind issues of delivery mode, sampling and design;
- Select and make use of appropriate software for carrying out synchronous and asynchronous online interviews;
- Use the correct terminology when communicating about online interviews;
- Collect information about sources of help when using online interviews.