Glossary of Georeferencing Terms
Noun: A data item that allows information to be linked to a specific geographical location.
Verb: To provide such a link.
In the UK, postcode is an alphanumeric code that relates to a small number of postal delivery locations. More generally, any structured coding system used for the sorting and delivery of mail.
A set of coordinates which define a point location relative to a coordinate system in geographical space, typically a pair of values (for example latitude and longitude or easting and northing) but sometimes three (where the third dimension provides an elevation value).
Geographical Information System
A software tool that allows the management, mapping and analysis of information using its geographical location.
Digital boundary data
The set of computer-readable grid references necessary to describe the boundaries of geographical areas.
Spatial data linkage
The association of two or more items of information through a common geographical location.
Other Useful Glossary Links
- AGI GIS Dictionary [http://loi.sscc.ru/gis/defterm/agidict/welcome.html]
- CSISS GIS Cookbook - Glossary [http://www.csiss.org/cookbook/glossary.php]
- ESRI GIS Dictionary [http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.gisDictionary.gateway]
- Glossary for the Geographer's Craft [http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/gloss/glossary.html]
- ONS Neighbourhood Statistics Glossary [http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/Info.do?page=userguide/glossary/glossary.htm]