Your browser does not support these headings. To ensure that the contents remain accessible, they have been automatically opened so that all the information on the page is displayed.
However, to take advantage of the headings and to ensure that the layout and design of this site are displayed correctly, you are recommended to upgrade to a current version of one of the following standards compliant browsers:
- Internet Explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx)
- Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html)
- Opera (http://www.opera.com/download/)
Compare the following versions of the welcome page of an online questionnaire. Which do you think is the best and why? Compare your answers to the comments below.
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU RECOGNIZE ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PAGE, THE CHANCES
ARE YOU HAVE TAKEN PART IN THIS STUDY BEFORE. IF THIS IS THE CASE,
PLEASE DO NOT PARTICIPATE AGAIN. THANK YOU.
Please note: If you recognise anything about the next page, the chances are you have taken part in this study before. Please do not participate again.
Welcome to the sleep study.
If you decide to be in the study, you will need to provide a secret username (which will also allow you to get feedback).
Please keep your username in mind, as you will need it during the course of the experiment.
In fact, it is absolutely essential that you use your username. For each part of the sleep pattern test, the last item you record, after each question, will be your username.
For your information, this research has been approved ...
If you wish, you can make notes in the text box below. Select 'comments' to see the suggested answer.
Although the text is the same, the second example is clearer. Features that make it easier to read include:
- More white space makes it easier to access and process the information.
- The text is divided into sections and bullet points which makes it easier to gain an understanding of the different points it contains.
- The use of underlining and capitalisation is avoided.
- Key information is highlighted using bold which is used sparingly to preserve impact.